vrijdag 10 januari 2014

mistakes to learn from

Sure !
You should learn from your mistakes
 I hope that I will do just that !

Some time ago someone asked me 
why I said that you should put a bit of vinegar 
in the last rinsing water of your felted piece :
I said (like I learned from someone else)
that it was to neutralize
the (eventually) still remaining bits of soap in your felt, because :
soap eats your fibres in the end !

Well ...
you should think I'm aware of this
"soap eating your felt" thing
..... 

Some days ago I planned I would finally finish
some felt piece I started 
on my felting-day with my dear friend Jane
in April, last year !


Why did I take so long to finish it?
I don't know, sometines things go like that :
you don't have time, 
(because there are other things that need to be done)
you're not in the right mood, or
you simply forget all about it
;-)

That's about what happened :
and the piece lay there, started, wet and soaped, 
rolled in bubble wrap and a towel.
There were leaves and little half felted balls
with some "fibre fluff" to attach them to the main part,
there were glass beads inside, and a lot of "nuno"

First I put some extra layers on the back and over the glass beads
The layers were simply too thin, not strong enough.


But, when I wanted to add the leaves and especially the balls :
the wool fibres just broke down !!!

I had to remove some of them, but (pfffft) most leaves remained attached

In the end, when the piece was dry I removed the glass beads

because the top was still not strong enough to keep them safely in
(though I made tiny holes !)

Here is the finished collar
(thoroughly rinsed in vinegar and competely dry now)

some details

(around my neck, for the size)

A lesson well learned :
never ever 
leave a (half) felted piece in soap too long



7 opmerkingen:

  1. Das ist ein tolles und ausgefallenes Teil geworden, Els!
    Liebe Grüße
    Gabi

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. We should be SOOOOOo clever , the amount of mistakes we make! But it is true, without making them we do not learn and grow. I am really loving the felt you have made, Els, and your collar is a delight! Lx

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Fajny pektorał. Dobrze, że pokazałaś jak się robi te kratery, bo nie wszyscy wiedzą. Bardzo wiosennie się zrobiło, niech zima zapomni, że jej pora.
    Pozdrawiam.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. So beautiful, Els. And thank you fot talking about vinegar.never heard about it before.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen